Nothing is scarier for a business than having a problem with their product reported in the national news. Chipotle has been facing just such a crisis recently. First, an outbreak of E.coli was connected to the restaurants, affecting 52 people across 9 states. Then in December, more than 140 people were sickened by norovirus after eating at a restaurant in Boston. The dual crises prompted the company to take out full-page ads in the Boston Globe, and other papers across the country, to apologize to their customers and explain the measures being implemented to improve food safety procedures going forward.